Pewfall colliery

The colliery was situated on the north side of Liverpool Road and was sunk by Samuel Clough. Richard Evans bought the colliery from his executors after his death. The Mines Inspectors reported that the colliery employed 220 persons and had four shafts in 1894. By the end of the century only two shafts were working. At its peak production the colliery raised 130,000 tons of coal per year. Pewfall colliery closed in 1911.


Colliers at the pithead, Pewfall Colliery

James Frost 18th. April 1857 Book-keeper. Killed by being struck on the head by the cage while looking down the pit.

His gravestone is in St Thomas' churchyard.

[smaller] Change text size [larger]
© The Coalmining History Resource Centre from Raleys Solicitors. Email : coalmining@raleys.co.uk