Windy Arbour Colliery


Windy Arbour Colliery in 1980 after closure. Formerly Winstanley No. 4 pit, it was sunk in 1837 and worked by the Windy Arbour Colliery Company from the early 1920s. Soon after nationalisation in 1947, 105 miners and 38 surface workers were employed, making it one of the largest licensed mines in the country. It closed in 1977, then operated on a small scale until 1979. Joseph Cunliffe of Bryn was a collier there.

[smaller] Change text size [larger]
© The Coalmining History Resource Centre from Raleys Solicitors. Email : coalmining@raleys.co.uk